01483 826 470



Picture of a lawyer
2 minutes reading time (406 words)

Enforcing Family Financial Orders

The Law Commission has published a consultation paper on the enforcement of family financial orders in England and Wales.

The Commission explains that every year, thousands of separating couples apply to the courts for financial orders, either because they cannot agree or to turn an agreement into an order so as to make it enforceable.

The courts can order a person to make financial provision for a former spouse or civil partner. Sometimes the courts also make orders for the benefit of the children. The orders are made to help make sure that the needs of both partners and their children are met and, where possible, to maintain their living standards.

Although couples see the court’s order as the final stage of the legal process of separation, that may not be the end of the story. Sometimes people do not comply with court orders, either because they do not want to or because changing circumstances mean they are no longer able to comply.

Under existing law, the courts can struggle to enforce the family financial orders they make. The mechanisms for enforcement are contained in a range of legislation and court rules. Court users can find the process bewildering and parties often face significant expense and distress in trying to get what they are owed, which can lead to hardship for them and their children.

The Commission is therefore seeking views on options for reform that would simplify and clarify the law and make it easier for the courts, practitioners and the public to use.

"The law governing the enforcement of family financial orders is hard to understand and difficult to use,” explained Professor Elizabeth Cooke, Law Commissioner for property, family and trust law. “When the courts cannot enforce family financial orders, it can lead to real hardship for former partners and children and place a huge burden on the state.”

“We need to understand whether existing mechanisms for enforcement are working as well as they might, what other powers the courts might use to tackle non-payment, and how we can find better solutions for couples when one partner is able to pay but refuses to do so," she added.

Contact our specialist family lawyers and therapists

If you have a family dispute that needs resolving, we are here to help and look forward to your call. Please contact us on 01483 826 470 or complete our online enquiry form to the right of this page.

The Hidden Depths of Financial Abuse
Support for Women Facing the Threat of Domestic Vi...

Contact us

Please let us know your name.

Please let us know your email address.

Please enter a valid telephone number

Please select one option.

Please select one option.

Please let us know your occupation.

Please let us know your message.

Call now to arrange a consultation01483 826 470